“Which of the books that you’ve read this semester has had the most “impact” on you, e.g., which one won’t you forget or which one surprised you the most or which one made you think about new ideas?”
The book that still sticks out in my mind as the best book we read this semester is The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I think it was such a new type of book and really caught me off guard! The story is so thoughtful and sophisticated, even though it is intended for a young audience, which I really appreciate. So often young adults peruse the shelves of a book store only to find shelf after shelf of mindless stories about girls who can only think about boys and gossip, or boys who can only think about girls and sports. This book I think brings a refreshing change for this audience.
I also am really struck by how versatile this book is. Not only is it a great read for any young adult, but it is so great as a tool teacher and parents can use to engage their discouraged readers. I recommended the book to the parent of a boy I babysit. This kid has severe dyslexia, but the illustrations made this book very accessible for him. The fact that the illustrations have a part in telling the story (they aren’t just pictures that bring the text to life), made him feel that he wasn’t reading a “picture book”, but a real novel meant for other kids his age! I just think it is really great that Selznick is exploring other ways of making reading fun for kids who don’t fit the normal reader mold!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment