Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Response for 2/11/2009

"What are your feelings about a book for teenagers that features a lesbian protagonist, like Finding H. F.?

I feel like I can make a blanket statement that any book offering a good message for teens, no matter what the sexual orientation of the protagonist, has my approval. I think also any book that offers a positive portrayal of a lesbian and the gay community is also something that can do nothing but good for the teens of today.

I think books often serve as a way to expose teens to issues, topics and types of people that a kid, for example, in rural South Georgia, may never be exposed to. In this way, a book like Finding H. F.  can be invaluable because it broadens the reader's world-view. Especially in the case of H. F. , the book can also help to dispel any prejudices or misconceptions a reader might have about different types of people.

Specifically in Finding H. F., I think the book does a really good job of giving the reader a glimpse of the internal and external struggles that a young lesbian, a girl questioning her sexuality, and also a gay teen must face. The message of this book-- that all love is good-- is so beautiful, and I think it's great that the author chose to create a lesbian protagonist to discover this message. 

Also, protagonists like H. F. are positive role models for young lesbians. Books featuring lesbians in the way that this book does are few and far between, so Finding H. F. is a rare and positive add to the genre. 

1 comment:

  1. To Margaret:

    Great post! I totally agree with everything you said. Books like Finding H.F. are gems to the literary community as well as the world…if I can use a blanket statement as well. For someone who does not have to struggle with being a lesbian or gay in a straight and narrow world, books like H.F. are really eye opening and show me a perspective that I would not have ever been able to get, believe, or understand. These ideas and perspectives about a struggle, and a coming-to-age story, were put into a great story and Julia Watts’ formula is spectacular! I appreciate this story and wish I had this book to expose me and educate me to these issues and important life changing topics!

    Great read!
    ~KimC.

    ReplyDelete